Exhibitions of the Royal Photographic Society 1870-1915
HOME > PROJECTS > ERPS
Exhibitions of the Royal Photographic Society 1870-1915 is a research database of over 30000 records from the annual exhibition catalogues of the Photographic Society, London, published between 1870 and 1915.
It contains: detailed records of all the exhibits, plus information about exhibitors, judges, hanging and selecting committee members, photographs and companies plus reproductions of all the catalogue pages, pictures of many of the photographs that were exhibited.
The Royal Photographic Society exhibitions attracted a wide constituency of photographers, from Britain, Europe and America. Many individuals launched their photographic career by exhibiting at the Royal Photographic Society and a significant number went on to become leading practitioners of their day.
The response from researchers has been overwhwelming:
- "A fantastic, comprehensive rendering of all the information on RPS exhibitions which is contained in the RPS journals, with the huge advantage of being searchable and making links across journals."
- "It is fantastic to have all these exhibition catalogues page by page, and some images, online and it will be tremendously useful for researchers. What a wonderful piece of work!"
- "Really enjoyed digging into the deeper levels of the database, which I think is fabulous and will prove to be a great resource and contribution to photographic history."
- "I just wanted to say that I surfed the database for exactly 30 seconds before finding something REALLY important for my Becquerel work... THANK YOU! and thanks to the team..."
- "Excellent work; a major contribution towards making the whole of the RPS Collection more accessible."
- "It's a fantastic piece of work."
- "It is an extraordinarily useful resource."
- "A fantastically useful research tool."
- "This whole opportunity to work through the RPS material in this form is extraordinarily important for the work I'm doing. Congratulations, it is a wonderful achievement and thank you for affording me what the Victorians would have called 'hours of good rational leisure'"
Exhibitions of the Royal Photographic Society 1870-1915 is the latest in a series of photographic history resources developed by Knowledge Media Design, for more details see the photohistory links page